Acquire Phantosys server license validation token (USB hard-lock)
Alternatively, short trials can make use of a remote USB connection, for a scheduled period. Contact your Phantosys representative and request access to a remote USB device and information on how to set up the USB redirector client on your server.
Setting up the server for the installation
- Prepare a computer to be installed the Phantosys server program. Recommended specs: x86 64bit entry-level CPU, 8Gb RAM (minimum), SSD (200Gb free space minimum), Gigabit Ethernet port, with a clean and fully updated Windows OS (Windows server 2016/2019/2022 or Windows 10/11 Professional). You can also use a VM as the server if it can access the USB license token. Please make sure you get a dedicated computer or VM to use as a server for the trial and do not use a shared server during the tests and evaluation.
- Ask your Phantosys representative for the “quick-start” Trial files. You should download the compressed file and unzip the contents to the root path of your server’s SSD.
- Install the Phantosys license token on the server, by plugging the USB hardlock device or by setting up the USB Redirector client. If you have been granted access to a remote USB license dongle (virtual USB connection), ask for instructions on how to install USB Redirector and connect to the License server.
Prepare the clients and network environment
- In addition to the server, make available client PCs with an empty SSD/HDD (without any partitions). We recommend at least 2-3 PC clients for the initial tests.
- Clients must be connected by LAN cable to the server network. Please note that Phantosys supports client operation on WiFi after the initial installation.
- Configure your client PCs and network to enable PXE boot. If using PXE boot is not possible or convenient, you may use the USB installation method (only for UEFI bios) to connect the client to the server.
- Check the network settings and recommendations (below), especially regarding DHCP and VLANs.
Network settings and recommendations (click to open)
|Recommendation: Category 6 or higher for 1000 BaseTX network cards (for server and clients)
Note: Category 5e only permitted for the client connection, but not for the server connection
|Gigabit switches or higher
Non-manageable switches (Layer 2) are possible if a Phantosys server is installed per VLAN.
Manageable switches (Layer 3) are necessary if the Phantosys servers are to serve the Phantosys clients across VLANs.
Necessary settings for VLANs: e.g. DHCP relay, UDP helper, direct broadcast or similar.
Configuration of the manageable switches:
Maximum data throughput
No restrictions at the MAC layer level
No packet flooding limitation
Minimum spanning tree protocol or spanning tree + portfast
|for TCP/IP and UDP/IP respectively the ports:
67, 69, 4001, 4003, 4011, 14372
|A) An existing DHCP server can be used.
B) Alternatively, the DHCP server integrated into Phantosys can be used.
The Phantosys DHCP server only serves the devices whose MAC addresses are registered in Phantosys.
DHCP without VLANs:
Phantosys server, DHCP server and Phantosys clients are in the same subnet.
No special settings are necessary.
DHCP with VLANs:
If the Phantosys server, the DHCP server and the Phantosys clients are in different subnets (VLANs), the switches must be configurable.
Please configure the switches so that the client PCs can easily reach the Phantosys server and the DHCP server.
Eg DHCP relay, UDP Helper….
Please coordinate these settings with your network administrator.
Operational training session
After the test environment is all set and all the trial files are already downloaded on the server, contact your Phantosys representative to schedule a remote operational training session to assist in understanding the main functions of the system.
Please set up a video conference environment. Install a remote helpdesk application (we suggest AnyDesk) on the server and send the access information to your Phantosys representative. If possible, please arrange a webcam for showing the other client PCs for following the client connection and boot process.
Phantosys installation tutorial
Follow the tutorial below and install Phantosys Server software and load the virtual disk repository with a clean installation of Windows. This template facilitates testing and basic training. By following the tutorials and the manual, after getting to know Phantosys, you will be able to upload a new or customized system according to your needs.
Quick Installation with Template vDisk package (click to open)
In this tutorial we show how to:
- Install the Phantosys server
- Enable automatic association of new client PCs, by network boot
- Add a template repository of virtual disk images (Template PIM file)
- Enable a client PC to boot from the network and associate itself with the Phantosys server
- Associate a Vdisk to the client PC with a preconfigured system image and make it boot a ready-to-use Windows OS